Sunday, May 3, 2009

Effort justification


Have you ever cheated on a test and got a good grade on it? How did you feel after this “achievement”? Did you experience the same feeling when you got a good grade on a test you did not cheat? Which “achievement” gave you more satisfaction?

Well if I had to answer the last question I would say that getting a good grade on a test I did not cheat would give me a better satisfaction. Why? Because according the effort justification theory, I as a human being will find something appealing and valuable only if I suffer and put a lot of effort to have it or achieve it. Getting an A on a difficult test after spending endless hours of studying, would be more appealing to me than just getting an A without any effort. Even though I would get rewarded in both cases, the reward that I actually deserve would be the one that I would attribute a greater value to, because that reward would only justify my efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment